A new app out there for the iPhone allows you to create a temporary number that routes to your real phone number and can be set to stop working (or “burn”) after a set amount of time. The Burner app comes with enough credits to create a temporary phone number called a “mini-burner” that expires after 20 minutes of talk time, 60 text messages, or after 7 days. Users are given the option to “burn” it sooner if they choose to. Here, inbound and outbound calls use up your actual phone plan minutes and/or texts, but the actual identity of the caller and callee are kept private.
The developers of the service consider it to be perfect for dating, job searches, short-term projects, craigslist transactions, or other times when you want to maintain a little privacy. It’s not meant to be used for 911 or other emergency calls and it should also be noted that Burner numbers don’t support MMS, only SMS.
• get a phone number, or multiple phone numbers, from preferred area codes
• name each one so you can keep track of its purpose (e.g. "Dating")
• easily tweet, copy/paste, and share your burner numbers
STAY IN TOUCH
• get calls or SMS's to your Burner number
• make outbound calls and texts, or reply to inbounds, with your Burner number
• view convenient threaded conversations with each caller
• turn the ringer and SMS on and off to let calls and texts ring through to your phone line, or go straight to a professional but anonymous voicemail
• add each one to your address book (or not), so you'll get caller ID when the lines ring
• see a history of calls, texts, and voicemails, and take notes on callers (or delete them)
• reply via SMS or voice using your burner number
• never reveal your real number or let callers through to your real phone's answering machine
• "burn" or trade in your virtual number at the click of a button, instantly taking it out of service and deleting it from your phone
HOW IT WORKS:
• Burner comes with enough credits to create 1 mini-burner that will expire after 20 minutes of voice time and/or 60 text messages, or after 7 days, whichever comes first. (Or you can burn it at any time.)
• Inbound and outbound calls forward to and use your actual phone line (and cellular minutes) but keep the call identity private in both directions.
• Text messages do not use your SMS allowance.
• You can buy more credits, starting at 3 for $1.99, with discounts for buying more
• You can use credits to buy various types of burners and extensions to burners.
• When you burn a number, we take it out of service and delete it from your phone immediately.
• Burner numbers do not support MMS.
• Not for 911 or emergency calls.
You can download it via the link below.
|Burner - Disposable Phone Numbers|
|Burner is a privacy layer for your phone, providing alias phone numbers at the push of a button. Fast, safe, and totally private - get Burner numbers as often as you need them, and get as many as you want.|